The best dog in the world
Born November 10, 1923 from a parent named Goma-go and a male dog named Ōshinai-go, his name as a child is Hachi. The owner is the family of Giichi Saitō from Ōdate city, Akita Prefecture. Through an intermediary, Hachi is picked up by the Ueno family who wants to keep Akita Inu type dogs. He was put into a straw wicker where the rice before being transported by train departing from Ōdate Station, January 14, 1924. After traveling about 20 hours, Hachi arrived at Ueno Station, Tokyo.
Hachi became a pet dog Professor Hidesaburō Ueno who taught agricultural science at the Imperial University of Tokyo. Professor Ueno was 53 years old, while his wife, Yae was 39 years old. Professor Ueno is a dog lover. Prior to taking care of Hachi, Professor Ueno had several times groomed Akita Inu's dogs, but they did not last long. At the Ueno family's house adjacent to Shibuya Station, Hachi is kept with two other dogs, S and John. Now, the location of the former Ueno family home is estimated near the Tokyo Department Store building
When Professor Ueno went to work, Hachi always drove his employer away at the door of the house or from the front gate. In the morning, with S and John, Hachi sometimes drove his employer to Shibuya Station. In the afternoon, Hachi returned to the station to pick up.
On May 21, 1925, after attending a meeting on campus, Professor Ueno died suddenly. Hachi kept waiting for his mistress who did not come home, and would not eat for 3 days. Toward the day of Professor Ueno's funeral, the tsuya (night watch for the dead) ceremony took place on the night of 25 May 1925. Hachi still did not understand Professor Ueno was dead. Accompanied by John and S, he also went to the station to pick up his master.
Poor fate came to Hachi because Yae had to leave the house of the late Professor Ueno. Yae was never officially married. Hachi and John are entrusted to one of Yae's relatives who own a kimono shop in Nihonbashi area. But the way Hachi jumped up to welcome the arrival of a buyer was not liked. He was again entrusted to the home of a Yae relative in Asakusa. This time, Hachi's presence caused a fight between his owner and his neighbor in Asakusa. As a result, Hachi is entrusted to the home of Ueno's adopted daughter in Setayaga. But Hachi likes to play in the fields and destroy vegetable crops.
In the fall of 1927, Hachi was deposited at Kikusaburo Kobayashi's house which became a gardener for the Ueno family. The Kobayashi family house is located in Tomigaya area adjacent to Shibuya Station. Every day, around the hours of Professor Ueno's return, Hachi is seen waiting for his employer's return at Shibuya Station.
In 1932, Hachi's story awaiting employers at the station invited the attention of Hirokichi Saitō of the Japan Dog Conservation Association. Concerned about Hachi's frequent abuse at the station, Saitō wrote a sad story about Hachi. The article was sent to the Tokyo Asahi Shimbun daily, and was published under the title Itoshiya rōken monogatari ("The Old Dog Stories of Beloved"). The Japanese public finally find out about Hachi's loyalty that continues to await the employer's return. After Hachi became famous, station workers, merchants, and people around Shibuya Station began to love him. Since then, the suffix kō (dear) is added behind the name Hachi, and people call him Hachikō.
Around 1933, Saitō's acquaintance, a sculptor named Teru Andō was touched by the story of Hachikō. Andō wants to make a Hachikō statue. Every day, Hachikō brought a visit to Andō's studio to pose as a model. Andō tried to precede the old man who claimed to be the person who entrusted Hachikō. The person sells Hachikō postcards for personal gain. In January 1934, Andō finished writing a proposal to establish a statue of Hachikō, and the fundraising project began. The fundraising event was held at the Japanese Youth Building (Nihon Seinenkan), March 10, 1934. About three thousand spectators attended to see Hachikō.
The bronze statue of Hachikō was finally completed and placed in front of Shibuya Station. The inauguration ceremony was held in April 1934, and was witnessed by Hachikō together with about 300 attendees. Andō also made another statue of Hachikō who was hoping. After finishing on May 10, 1934, the statue was awarded to Emperor Hirohito and Empress Kōjun.
After 6:00 am on March 8, 1935, Hachikō, 13, was found dead in the street near Inari Bridge, Shibuya River. The place is on the other side of Shibuya Station. Hachikō usually never goes there. Based on the autopsy it is known that the cause of death is filariasis
The farewell ceremony with Hachikō was attended by crowds at Shibuya Station, including the widow of the late Professor Ueno, the husband and wife of the Kobayashi gardener, and the locals. The monk of Myōyū-ji was invited to recite the sutras. Hachikō funeral ceremony takes place like a funeral ceremony. Hachikō is buried next to Professor Ueno's grave at Aoyama Cemetery. The outer body of Hachikō diopset, and until now exhibited at the National Museum of Science, Ueno, Tokyo